Monday, July 19, 2010

Praise God! I'm HOME!!!!!!

I am diabetic. Yikes! They will do all the blood work later this week when I see the endocrinologist to find out whether I am type 1 or 2. Currently, their best guess is that I am a type 1.5! (i.e I am still producing some insulin, but not enough...)

It is all slightly overwhelming. I have to finger prick to check my blood sugar and inject insulin before every meal and before bed (and any other time I feel strange) and (biggest bummer of all), I have to count and restrict my carbohydrate intake... it's pretty depressing how small my portion sizes of anything that tastes good will now have to be! But at least they are not saying I have to cut fun foods out altogether!

My last blood sugar reading was 126 - which is great. I am still feeling the effects of my roller-coaster blood sugar ride - fatigue, blurred vision and tingling in my feet and fingers, but apparently these symptoms will improve over the next few days.

My Mum is (yet again!) jumping on a plane to come out and look after her little girl. She arrives on Sunday - so will overlap for a few hours with Ed's Dad - and will stay for at least 6 weeks. I am SO grateful to her and my wonderful Dad for being prepared to drop everything and come out. I really need her now since the work of monitoring and stabilising my blood sugar will take a while - on top of caring for my delicious (but demanding!) newborn son!

God is good. Amazingly, through this I have been able to trust Him and not get angry that yet another thing has 'gone wrong'. Maybe I am (at long last) learning to accept HIS will, even if it doesn't agree with my own!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nic, Good to hear of your return home and to read that you are in good spirits. Enjoy the unexpected Mum visit. Praying for your return to full and bloming health, love Fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicci and Ed we are praying for you here. God is good all the time even when his plans are different to our own! What a learning curve we are all on.
    Much love and hugs to you all
    Anne and Paul xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes indeed! But what a faithful God. He is soooo clever to work out all the little details and it is such a joy to read your story and see His hand at every stage. (You sure know how to give your visitors a good time, eh???) Praying you get your blood sugar stabilised and your treatment settled into a routine really soon. Have a blessed time with Ed's Dad and Nicci's Mum. Missing you guys. Much love xxx

    ReplyDelete