Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Lord is asking Ed and I to walk through a dark time at the moment.

Up until Tuesday night it all seemed to be going well, the blood clot was clearing and the babies were doing well…

On Tuesday night, the sack, that one of our babies was in, burst. When we went for a scan the next morning, the baby was still moving and had a strong heart beat, but we were told that there is only a 10 – 15% chance that this precious little one will live. We have a scan booked for this Wednesday to see whether the sack has re-formed or not and whether the baby is alive or not… (the other baby is doing well, which is great news)

When we got home we phoned Ed’s parents – Ed’s Mum has been having some difficulties breathing over the last few months and they were doing tests on Wednesday to find out what was wrong. We couldn't believe it when they told us that she has advanced lung and liver cancer and may only have a few more months to live…

Now, some of you might think that a day like last Wednesday might shake our faith, but, if anything, this trial is strengthening our certainty that God IS good and that he is absolutely in control. There have been moments when Ed and I have felt like we were slipping into the pit of despair, but, in those moments we have felt supernaturally strengthened and have found ourselves SINGING – yes SINGING praises to our loving heavenly father. I can’t explain it, but what I’m telling you is true!

Ed and I have written wonderful verses from the bible on big sheets of paper and have stuck them to the mirror opposite our bed. We are holding onto those truths and it is helping us lift our eyes from our present circumstances…

It does feel like we’re living through a nightmare at the moment, and even though tears are close to the surface at all times, we know that Jesus is with us…

I know that not all of you know Jesus (but I’m praying that changes! You know me!), but for those of you who do, we really value your ongoing prayers. With all that is happening with Ed’s Mum, our worries about the baby seem less significant – obviously we’d still value prayers for those little ones, but please also pray for Ed and his family – especially his sister and Dad… it has all come as a total shock and none of us can envisage the future without Ed’s Mum’s energy, enthusiasm and her positive outlook on life – she is a beautiful woman of God and, although she is in a lot of pain, she is not afraid of death and is continuing to rejoice in Jesus and in the firm hope she has beyond the grave… it’s the rest of us that ache at the massive hole she will leave…

This is not easy, but God is with us and we know that he is good and will not give us more than we can bear...

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ed and Nicci, My husband Toby and I are friends with Justin Buzzard, who passed along an email with your prayer requests to us. (If you don't know Justin, then I'm not sure WHO passed your email on to him, and will just count it one of those strange blessings that strangers who are "family" in the Lord are praying for each other!) I just wanted you to know that my heart is with you and I am lifting you all up in prayer. I am so very, very sorry for the trials that you are walking through right now, but am blown away and encouraged deeply by your faith and trust in God's goodness and sovereignty in it all. I pray that I would respond in like, should God ever ask me to walk through something similar.

    Please know that there are many out here who are praying for you. Feel free to email me with specific prayer requests, if you want to. It would be a blessing to lift you up through the day!

    God be with you ...

    Toby and Rebekah Kurth

    ReplyDelete