Saturday, May 1, 2010

I am writing from the IICN at Lucile Packard's Children's Hospital. I have commandeered one of the computers on wheels that they have here, and am hiding behind the screen used to protect my wife's modesty as she feeds our child because I'm sure these machines aren't here for patients' parents to update their blogs.

To my left, Daniel is tucking into his breakfast. On the menu today is breast milk, flavoured with last night's Afghan kebab, and perhaps this morning's scrambled eggs. Hmmmm. Nicci has Daniel like she were holding a rugby ball under her arm and sprinting for the try line, although the scene is a bit more sedate than a rugby match. Daniel is eyes-closed and concentrating. He's making some very cute breathing noises as he feeds, and he isn't choking: his 'numbers' all look good on the screen. He's making some not-so-cute noises from the other end, though I'm sure it's Nicci's turn to change his nappy...

Now Nicci is burping him. I've been calling him 'Belter' (like the nickname of the Daniel in the Bible), and apparently over here 'belting' has to do with burping, so the name is even more appropriate. His aunt would be very proud. It's wind from both ends right now. And now he's got the hiccoughs. He's amazing.

(The nurse-practitioner just came round behind the screen to listen to his chest. Busted. Although, I acted cool and behaved like this illicit use of hospital IT equipment was well within my rights and, as she didn't mention anything, I think we're in the clear.)

Breakfast was interrupted for an emergency nappy change. Wow. Thankfully, it was Nicci's turn. Because we need to monitor his intake of milk very closely, he is weighed before and after his feeds. The nappy change has necessitated a mid-feed weigh as well. I can tell you that his last stool represented 1% of his body weight.

He's now back on the breast and, 'oh no lookout' I think he's just cracked another one, and 'ah gee', it's my turn next.

The nurse practitioner was just back. I positioned myself in front of the computer, I'm sure she didn't notice. The news is:
  • No bradys or desats overnight. Good.
  • The amount he's taking with each feed is impressive and he's gaining weight. Good
  • He's being weaned off two of his meds. Good.
  • He's gorgeous. But we already knew that.

Marvellous. I'm off to spectate.

No comments:

Post a Comment