Saturday, April 25, 2009

So, Nicci is off on the women's retreat and I'm fending for myself. I guess they're in the middle of nowhere with no mobile phone coverage, as I haven't been able to make contact yet - either that or she's having such a good time with the girls she's forgotten all about me! Last night I went into the city to an Irish bar to meet Toby and Gene who are some folks I met when I came out here in January. Toby is about to lead a new church plant in San Francisco city, which is pretty exciting. I was able to find a enclosed car park for only $5. Good to know, since last time we came in on a Friday night (to meet Nicci's old Speech Therapy boss who was out here on holiday), we paid $20. Gene told me afterwards that after 6pm, you can park for free on the street by the meters, so that's a good note for later.

Nicci mentioned in her post below that, finally, we were able to pick up our car yesterday. It was worth the wait. Although it doesn't have all the possible features, it is our first ever car with air conditioning (non-negotiable out here), and cruise control. That's a pretty cool ability - and it helps you keep to the speed limits! What Nicci didn't tell you about us picking up the car was this: After collecting it from the dealership in San Jose (yes, we know the way there) we had to drive in convoy to return our rental car to the hire car place at the airport. Nicci had the SatNav and so I was to follow her. Bear in mind we had only an hour before passed our written driving exams. Nicci's first manoeuvre on leaving the Audio place was an illegal left turn across three lanes of traffic. Then at the first set of lights, right at the last moment, Nicci pulled into the only turn-left lane leaving me no option but to continue on. Typical. She didn't have her phone with her, so it was a case of 'see you at home, maybe(?)'. Thankfully we both made it back and were able to return the hire car to the airport. Now we have just the one car between us, so hopefully we won't find ourselves in a similar predicament again!
With the girls off at the retreat, today I met up with some of the other bereft husbands and single guys from the church 'Twenties' group and we went to hike up a mountain (one step at a time). We drove over to Fremont on the east side of the Bay and climbed Mission Peak. It was a good hike, and nice to get away with a group of Christian blokes (none of whom questioned my right to be there as a 31-yr old). The guy on the left in both pictures is Florent, a Frenchman from Brittany, who is out here for a couple of months doing some work experience and looking to improve his English. He isn't really able to follow much of the conversation, so it's been great for me to be able to translate and talk to him in French. After coming back down the hill we stopped into In and Out. This is a really good burger place. I actually saw one of the guys in the kitchen peeling potatoes and putting them into a machine that cut them into chip shapes. And, it must have some sort of Christian ethos or heritage as, hidden under the bottom of the drink cups is "John 3 v 16", and on the paper wrapper of the burger I had (the double-double!) was written "Rev 3 v20". Someone else got a reference to "Nahum 1 v 7".

I'm now back at home and in need of a siesta. I'm meeting up with another guy from CPC later this evening. The temptation for me to watch the final episode of Prison Break is huge, but I think I'd better wait for Nicci to come back.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear all the news - america is such an amazing place. Did you know that in the california handbook for drivers license applications it states " thumb prints will be required for the application, but for any individuals without thumbs alternative prints will be taken" --- it's brillant.

    Pray you continue to have an awesome time out there - really enjoying your news.

    PS ? how would you safely grip a steering wheel with no thumbs??

    Rob and sarah

    ReplyDelete