Tuesday, April 21, 2009

They don't get my name out here at all! Nicole is a girl's name, but they just don't get Nicola... and more people are called 'Micky' than Nicci out here... so that's confusing for them too!

I had to give my name at a cafe recently so they could call out my name when the order was ready... on the top of my receipt, they have printed: NIKLAH... Close, but no cigar...

And that's just the start... we think we speak the same language? It's similar, and we can understand each other, but there are numerous vocab differences which is a cause for great hilarity...

I have had people say 'Oh I like your pants' - triggering frantic checking that my underwear is not on show! 'Bangs' is a fringe... They have 'Faucets' in their bathrooms instead of taps and your mobile phone is your 'cell'... there are NUMEROUS examples and I am slowly learning to be my own interprtation service when I see the puzzled look in their eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment